• The university has produced many notable people. 15 prime ministers of Japan have studied at the University of Tokyo. Former prime minister Kiichi Miyazawa ordered Japanese government agencies to reduce the rate of employees who had attended the university's law faculty to below 50 percent due to concerns about diversity in the bureaucracy.
• Eight alumni of University of Tokyo have received the Nobel Prize or the Fields Medal.
1. Kunihiko Kodaira, Mathematics, 1954
2. Yasunari Kawabata, Literature, 1968
3. Leo Esaki, Physics, 1973
4. Eisaku Satō, Peace, 1974
5. Kenzaburō Ōe, Literature, 1994
6. Masatoshi Koshiba, Physics, 2002
7. Yoichiro Nambu, Physics, 2008
8. Ei-ichi Negishi, Chemistry, 2010